Ever since I can remember, my mom would pack a small inspirational note in my lunches for school. I think I secretly looked forward to lunch time and reading the note. I remember taking it out of my lunch and holding it under the table being careful that my friends didn’t see, scared I would be teased because of my moms gesture. Although it seemed small at the time, it was her way of reinforcing our family values in a world that seemed to devalue them. Sometimes, she would have a note on our beds accompanied with some kind of treat at the end of the week waiting for us when we got home from school. We called it ‘Friday Surprise’. Although I definitely took this for granted most of the time, as I look back, I appreciate the love and commitment my parents had for raising my siblings and me with strong family values. Below is one of my favorite notes. Have a fabulous week and happy ‘Friday Surprise’!
12 Things to Remember in Life:
- Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
- Don’t believe all you hear.
- Don’t spend all you have or sleep all you want.
- When you say “I’m sorry” look the person in the eye.
- Leave the judgement of others to Jesus.
- Remember that great achievements involve great risk.
- When you lose, don’t lose the life lesson.
- Remember the three R’s: Respect for self, respect for others and responsibilities for your actions.
- When you make a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Smile when answering the phone; the caller will hear it in your voice.
- Spend time alone to reflect on what you have.
- Never go to bed with an angry heart, for tomorrow may never happen.